Just a few days ago my local library, here in Virginia Beach, posted an article with a list of things most people didn’t know they could do at their libraries. I have always been a fan of the library, and now that I’m raising a fellow book lover, my daughter loves the library too. This list highlights some of the best features of the library. And although you might not live in Virginia Beach (and if you do – hi neighbor!), your library probably offers similar services.
In honor of National Library Week, April 12 to 18, here are 10 things you can do for free at the library:
1. See a 3-D printing demonstration. VBPL has two 3-D printers that are used in a variety of programs and demos.
2. Attend free classes and programs. There are a variety of class and programs offered to all ages through the library.
3. Check out a video game.
4. Download e-books
, audiobooks, magazines, music, movies and TV shows. You can do so here
5. Help your child prepare for kindergarten by participating in VBPL’s curriculum-based preschool storytime series. We’ve been doing this since my daughter was a baby. There are a variety of free classes our library offers, from story time, to computer classes, to STEM classes – that are offered to all school-aged children. (All through age-appropriate classes).
6. Meet one-on-one with a job coach and get help with resume-writing.
7. Meet one-on-one with a technology guru and learn to use your new mobile device. This also includes help in downloading apps and books onto e-readers.
8. Find free tax preparation assistance, January to April, through AARP tax aides.
9. Learn new skills using VBPL’s online resources like Rosetta Stone (foreign languages), Lynda.com (business, software, technology) and more.
10. Attend a genealogy class at Central Library and trace your roots. While still in graduate school, I spent quite a bit of time in special collections and was amazed at the amount of information our local library had!
If it’s been a while since you’ve been to the library – to celebrate national library week, stop in! You might just be amazed!